An essential tool from SSL Studio.
Solid State Logic announces its latest plug-in release: SSL X-Gate. It features a rolling waveform graph, mid/side processing options and tweak-able hysteresis using independent open & closed thresholds, X-Gate builds upon the company’s renowned knowledge of hardware gates, all delivered through SSL’s advanced workflow interface. The new plug-in is suitable for music and content creators alike and delivers a unique range of features for extended sound sculpting — an invaluable tool for sound design, audio restoration and mixing.
“X-Gate continues to expand the SSL plug-in offering with a comprehensive but easy-to-use surgical gating tool for mixing, live, and broadcast applications.” commented Jonathan Sandman, Plug-ins Product Manager at SSL. “Fast, snappy and precise, X-Gate is guaranteed to be your new workhorse plug-in for shaping drums and other instruments, adding punch to your mixes, and transparently fixing ghost notes, noise or room bleed.”
In addition to M1 processor compatibility, X-Gate also introduces variable lookahead times and zero additional plug-in latency at the lowest setting, making it a perfect tool for tracking situations where mic bleed can distract from the primary source material. Meantime, its EXP and DUCK modes allow either transparent gating or ducking options; ducking is typically used for attenuating a signal when it exceeds a certain threshold, and this can be used in conjunction with a DAW’s side-chain function for intelligent ducking.
Features of the new X-Gate include:
• Easy-to-use THRESHOLD and RANGE controls, visually aligned with WAVEFORM GRAPH and GAIN REDUCTION METER for coordinated control
• ROLLING WAVEFORM VISUALISATION GRAPH for setting the perfect threshold
• ATTACK, RELEASE and HOLD time parameters gives detailed control over the shaping of the audio
• Tune the performance of the gate using the interactive FILTER GRAPH to apply HIGH- and LOW-PASS FILTERS the side-chain signal
• Use the EXPANDER mode and accompanying KNEE control for a more transparent option: make quiet signals quieter and expand the dynamic range of the signal
• Simple discrete LOOKAHEAD options for minimising the latency when using a lookahead
• Transform the plug-in into a production ducker with a single click. Use DUCK mode to invert the side-chain logic, attenuating the signal only when it exceeds the threshold — to duck the music when you speak into your microphone
• Tri-colour TRAFFIC LIGHT CUES give a clear indication on the momentary open/closed/hold state of the gate
• Use the MID/SIDE processing options to trigger the gate in creative ways or gate only the mono or stereo components on the signal
• SIDECHAIN and GATE audition modes
• Apple M1 processor compatible
X-Gate is the fourth new plug-in added to SSL’s Complete Bundle in recent months.
The new plug-in is available in several formats including VST2, VST3, AAX and AU, the SSL Complete subscription is available from $14.99 per/m. Along with the SSL Complete Bundle Subscription, X-Gate will also be available at a cost of $129, but reduced to $89 until July 28th.