SL MKIII Firmware Update
Comprehensive firmware update brings powerful new features to flagship keyboard controllers, for greater sequencer control and performance
The v1.4 firmware update for Novation’s flagship SL MkIII range of controller keyboards brings immense new composition and performance features, which greatly expand its capabilities.
The new features give SL MkIII users expanded arpeggiators, new sequencer functions, deeper swing control, and creative transposition features. All the new features are designed intentionally to bring greater creative flexibility and possibilities to the SL MkIII user, and to be a constant source of inspiration throughout the music-making journey. The new features, in detail, are:
- Per-part arpeggiator – Each of the eight parts now have individual, independent arpeggiators, for building complex polyrhythmic patterns.
- Arpeggiator probability – The new arpeggiator probability feature brings an element of randomness to each arpeggiator, turning SL MkIII into a generative and constantly evolving instrument.
- Step probability – The probability of a programmed step can be altered, bringing creative irregularity and extending the musical palette of the SL MkIII.
- Sequencer transpose (with pads) – The SL MkIII’s pads can now be used to make sequencer transposition a powerful performance tool.
- Pattern octave transpose – Allows patterns to be transposed across the octave range, to find the perfect pitch, and experiment with ideas.
- Toggle swing per-part – With swing on or off per part, it’s possible to build contrasting layers of groove for more complex rhythmic results.
- Pattern shift – Now it’s possible to quickly offset the start and end points of a pattern together to explore variations and manage sequences.
- Pitch bend to CV – The pitch-bend wheel can now be mapped to the CV output, opening up more expression possibilities for modular synth users and other external hardware control applications.
In addition to the new performance features, v1.4 includes some bug fixes — including one for Logic Pro users — which improve the SL MkIII experience.