Meet Mavis Moog
Moog’s new budget-friendly analog semi-modular synthesizer.
This is Moog’s most complete, budget friendly synthesizer to date, yet still packed with new innovations and the legendary sound you expect from Moog. It is a synth that is suitable for beginners and masters — a solid ‘onramp’ to the world of synthesizers and Eurorack, or a robust addition to any existing set up. Most importantly, Mavis inspires tactile interaction and creativity — no matter where you are on your music-making journey.
On its own, Mavis is an expressive and inspiring analog synthesizer with patchable modular utilities and unmistakable Moog sound and quality. When removed from its enclosure, the instrument becomes a 24-point CV-controllable module (44HP) ready to be installed into any Eurorack setup or Moog semi-modular system. Perfect for first-time users and established synthesists alike, Mavis’s semi-modular design and one-octave keyboard allow for immediate musical exploration without the need for additional equipment (except for a speaker or headphones).
Mavis mixes the familiar with the exotic, featuring Moog’s legendary oscillator and filter circuits alongside a diode wavefolder — the first analog wavefolder to appear on a Moog instrument. Combining traditional subtractive synthesis with additive wavefolding and oozing with personality, Mavis’s clever presentation of synthesis modules and utilities makes for intuitive, creative experimentation and musical connection.
Assembling this synthesizer kit by hand invites the user to get closer to the circuits at the heart of this unique musical machine. The connection made with an instrument while building it is something inherent to the nature of all Moog synthesizers, and it has been since the days of the large format modular systems. With Mavis, users of any skill level can quickly build their analog synthesizer with minimal tools and experience (no soldering required) by using all the components included in the instrument’s carefully curated packaging. Once the instrument is built, the owner is guided on their journey with Mavis through a selection of patch books and educational materials that encourage creative patching and sound design.
- 24-Point Patch Bay: Mavis is eager to play along with other voltage-controlled devices (especially with Moog’s other semi-modular instruments: Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch). Its useful collection of utilities and flexible control voltage routing allows for intricate dialogue between them
- Full Range Analog Oscillator: Mavis’s Voltage Controlled Oscillator (VCO) with pulse-width modulation (PWM), waveform mixing, and mod source mixing delivers rich harmonic character and motion
- Voltage Controlled Filter: Sculpt your sound with the -24dB Moog Low Pass Ladder Filter, delivering the sonic power behind the distinct sounds of Moog basslines and leads
- Audio Rate LFO and 4-Stage Envelope Generator: Mavis uses crossfaders in its modulation routing instead of switches, allowing you to blend between a variable shape LFO and 4-stage envelope generator for interesting and unusual modulation contours.
- Wavefolding and Modular Utilities: Mavis features Moog’s first-ever wavefolding circuit, allowing for additive synthesis to sit alongside traditional subtractive synthesis, and features a broad modular utilities section complete with attenuators, offsets, mults, and a flexible DC-coupled mixer
- Patchable Sample and Hold (S+H) Circuit: This circuit generates a random CV pattern that can be patched to modulate other parameters, including setting Mavis into a “random sequencing” mode of performance
- Protective Cover: Mavis includes a fitted protective cover for use during studio downtime or taking your instrument on the go
Mavis owners have access to an array of creative materials designed specifically to guide them down exploratory paths of how to patch with other Moog semi-modular instruments. At US$349, Mavis makes learning synthesis or expanding an already-advanced studio setup more approachable for anyone looking to explore classic Moog sound in a new way.