TDR: Feedback Compressor
A free, unobtrusive compression plugin.
Tokyo Dawn Records is an innovative music collective and label that was established in 1997. TDR is widely credited as a pioneer of the netaudio movement, having made its first steps into the online world using IRC networks, then experimenting with new collaborative techniques and open source music concepts on the internet — years before Napster’s existence. Thanks to the efforts of lead developer Fabien Schivre and collaborator VladG, TDR is not only recognised worldwide for its music releases, but also for its innovative signal processing software releases — with tools such as high-quality equalisers, limiters, and compressors.
The TDR Feedback Compressor is a carefully designed RMS-based feedback dynamic range compressor. The processor is dedicated to sum/bus compression and is the result of an intensive study about the musical behaviour of the feed-back compressor topology. Most modern compressors analyse the input signal to control gain reduction, whereas the Feedback Compressor’s design has it ‘listening’ to its output.
This non-intuitive approach delivers unobtrusive, highly musical compression characteristics that are able to handle complex signals with ease. These unique characteristics were combined with a minimalistic audio path and state of the art digital signal processing techniques, and carefully tuned for intuitive and musical operation. TDR emphasise the fact that the processor neither tries to emulate any previously available device, nor does it follow popular ‘virtual vintage’ trends.
- Beautiful ‘Feedback Compression’ sound and behaviour
- 64bit floating point precision for all relevant calculations
- Differential oversampling structure
- Internal re-sampling via high quality linear phase filters
- Advanced stereo-linking (reduces audible cross-modulation)
- Adaptive integration time RMS detector. Optional PEAK and tuneable RMS detection
- Freely adjustable compression knee
- Upward compression mode
- Optional side-chain 6dB/Oct high-pass and 3dB/Oct energy equalisation filters
- Optional ‘colour’ functions
- Independent release controls for fast and slow program material
- Delta Preview Mode, that allows users to preview the difference between compressed and original signal
- Latency compensated parallel bypass (i.e. processing not interrupted)
Tokyo Dawn Records – DISCONTINUED PRODUCT
While this product is no longer supported, all files remain accessible in order to allow for project recalls. Use at your own peril.