Zoom is taking on the likes of Sound Devices and Nagra with its grown-up field recorder, the F8. With 8-input/10-track recording, low-noise preamps (-127dBu EIN), and support for 24-bit/192k audio (with onboard limiters), the F8 is built to capture pristine audio.
The F8’s timecode clock uses a precision oscillator that generates timecode at 0.2ppm accuracy for rock-solid sync.
Weighing in at under a kilogram, the F8 is easy to lug but durable thanks to an aluminium chassis. Meanwhile, the display is a revelation – a bright 2.4-inch full-colour backlit LCD.
The F8 records in BWF-compatible WAV format at 16- or 24-bit resolution, and at any standard sample rate up to 192k. When recording files in MP3 format, you can choose bit rates of 128, 192, or 320kbps.
There’s plenty of redundancy to ensure you get your recording, including two card slots and three power sources. Files are saved periodically during recording and there’s a dual-channel recording mode, which allows you to create safety tracks on Inputs 1-4, each with independent level, limiting, delay, phase inversion, and high-pass filtering. Also for peace of mind there’s a pre-record function which allows you to capture up to six seconds of audio before you hit the Record button.
There’s plenty of monitoring flexibility along with a beefy 100mW headphone amp.
Zoom’s launching the F8 as the first field recorder to come with wireless Bluetooth control. The F8 Control App for iOS provides extensive wireless remote control. Functions include Record, Play, Stop, Fast-Forward, and Rewind, plus mixer pan and fader level. You can also monitor input levels, current time code, and battery status. With Zoom F8 Control, you can rename files, enter metadata, and set date/time information directly from your iOS device.
The F8’s onboard mixer enables flexible signal routing from all inputs to all outputs, either pre- or post-fader, with user-adjustable level, pan, and input/output delay. In addition to advanced onboard limiters (which can be applied to all channels and tracks simultaneously), the F8 also provides high-pass filtering to reduce the sound of wind and other noise, plus phase inversion and Mid-Side decoding.
• 8-channel/10-track field audio recorder/mixer
• 8 discrete inputs with locking Neutrik XLR/TRS combo connectors
• Compact and lightweight aluminium chassis, weighing just 2 pounds (without batteries)
• High quality mic preamps with up to 75dB gain, less than -127dBu EIN, and +4dB line inputs
• Support for up to 24-bit/192kHz recording as well as 96kHz, 88.2kHz, 48kHz, and 44.1kHz, plus 47.952kHz/48.048kHz for HD video compatibility; 16-/24-bit resolution
• Accurate Time Code (0.2 ppm) I/O on standard BNC connectors; dropframe/non-drop formats with Jam Sync
• Three different power supply options: 8x AA batteries, external DC battery pack with Hirose connector, or 12V AC adapter (AAs and DC battery pack not included)
• Automatic switching of power source from DC to batteries at user-defined voltage levels
• Dedicated gain control knob, 6-segment LED level meter, and PFL/Solo switch for each channel
• Phantom power (+48V/+24V) on every input
• Advanced onboard limiters for input and output
• High pass filter, phase invert, and Mid-Side decoder
• Input delay of up to 30 msec per channel / output delay of up to 10 frames per output
• Compatible with Zoom microphone capsules; optional extender cable enables remote positioning
• Dual mini-XLR (TA3) balanced Main Outs plus ⅛-inch stereo mini-jack Sub Out
• Dedicated headphone output (100mW) with front panel volume control
• 2.4-inch full-colour backlit LCD with monochrome mode
• Dedicated PFL display with viewable trim settings
• Dual SD/SDHC/SDXC card slots, up to 512GB each
• Records in BWF-compliant WAV or MP3 file formats
• Support for extensive metadata (BWF and iXML); input time, date, project, scene number, etc.
• Built-in slate mic/slate tone with front panel switch
• Built-in tripod mount; camera mount adapter also included
• Use as an 8-in/4-out USB audio interface (@ 96kHz)
• Free Zoom F8 Control App for iOS allows wireless remote control, file renaming, and metadata entry
Australia Distribution: Dynamic Music (02) 9939 1299 or www.dynamicmusic.com.au